How much is a degree really worth? According to a report by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, college graduates with a Bachelor’s Degree earn an average of 39% more than professionals who have only obtained a high school diploma or equivalent. Graduates with a Master’s Degree earn 48% more than high school graduates.
Although the potential for a larger salary increase is reason enough to go back to school, there are many benefits to advancing your education. Whether you are a high school graduate or a seasoned professional looking to advance in your career, continuing your education is well worth the investment. Listed below are the top five reasons why you should consider continuing your education:
- Invest in Your Career. Your education should be approached like a business investment. Although it takes time and money up front to complete your courses and obtain a degree, you will see an excellent return on investment that will continue to give back throughout your entire career.
- Enhance Your Skills. It is important to ensure that your knowledge and skills are up-to-date with the trends affecting your industry so employers will continue to view you as a valuable asset. By continuing your education, you can learn new skills and specializations that will allow you to become a more versatile employee.
- Demonstrate Value to Employers. An excellent way to demonstrate to employers that you are committed to your career is by going back to school. By investing time and money in continuing your education, you will send a powerful message to employers that you are serious about improving your education and applying new skills to your job therefore increasing your long-term value!
- Discover Your Dream Job. If you are considering switching careers, one of the best ways to learn more about a potential field is through a degree program or by taking related courses. By continuing your education, it can help you better understand what the new career will entail and how to apply your current skill set in the new position.
- Increase Your Earning Potential. Don’t settle for a salary that is less than you deserve. If you are looking to achieve a higher salary over the life of your career, consider continuing your education. Not only will you increase your marketability to employers, but you will experience a significant increase in your future worth.
Employers look to retain workers who continue to excel and deliver value to the company on a consistent basis. Regardless if your employment status, now is the perfect time to continue learning new skills and knowledge to bring value to your current or potential employer and advance in your career path!